The use of standing desks is a well-established practice -people have been using them for over 150 years! Their advocates include the likes of Leonardo da Vinci, Ernest Hemingway and Winston Churchill. Politicians, artists and writers aside, stand up desks have grown in popularity in recent years, particularly amongst start-up businesses.
So, what is it that makes them popular?
In our quest to bring you the best in interior design, we have enlisted the support of the experts at eco office to bring you the low down on all that you need to know about office planning to maximise performance and efficiency with style and comfort.
Health benefits Of Standing Desks
Experts claim that “sitting is the new smoking.” With the average worker spending over five hours sat at a desk, a sedentary lifestyle is linked to all sorts of health issues from obesity to cardiovascular disease and cancer. Additionally, according to research by experts in the field of evolutionary biology the negative effects of sitting aren’t counteracted by a burst of physical activity at the gym at the end of the working day.
A recent study compared weight gain in office workers who all consumed the same diet and had the same lifestyle. It was found that individuals who walked around or stood during the course of their day lost weight whereas those who sat still all day gained a few pounds. Standing burns on average 50 calories an hour more than sitting.
Therefore, simple activities such as taking the stairs and standing at the work station can have a big impact upon reducing the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes or heart attacks. Other research has found that adults who sit for two hours or more have a 125% increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease such as chest pains and heart attacks.
A correlation has also been found between prolonged sitting and certain types of cancer.
Cheap and efficient co-working
For any new business start-up or budding entrepreneur, stand up desks offer a flexible and affordable working solution in a shared office space. As usually the cheapest membership option, they provide the opportunity to meet and work with other like-minded professionals in a shared office environment. This increases the opportunity for networking and business growth. Many offer shared facilities such as kitchens and communal seating areas for those much-needed break times.
Increased productivity and better posture
In addition to the health benefits listed above, many workers report increased levels of productivity from increased energy levels and better posture from using a standing desk rather than sitting all day long.
Multi-purpose design features
If the health benefits alone aren’t enough to make you run out and buy a standing desk now then you may want to check out these features:
- Adjustability – No one wants to suffer from poor posture problems due to an incorrectly positioned keyboard or monitor or have to keep adjusting the position of your desk each time you use it. A standing desk can be adjusted to suit your height or that of colleagues if it’s a shared space- they can also be altered to a sitting position where required. Electronic versions are available which come with a handy LED keypad. These are perfect for multi-users as they allow you to save different height settings for different users.
- Multi surface spaces- built for weight and storage- if office space is at a premium, additional height can provide valuable extra shelf space for your needs.
- Cable friendly management– many desks have built in trays to allow for safe convenient cable storage or tracking.
- High quality materials- these are really important for providing you with a desk that is professional and inviting to work at as well as ensuring that it is fit for purpose and durability.
- Smart working– some stand up desks have built in apps which can alert you as to when to stand or move around. They will also tell you how many calories you have burnt whilst you are at your desk.
Where to go for professional advice and service?
For support and expertise that you can trust, we recommend Eco office. With over 45 years of experience in supplying high quality office furniture, their extensive product range includes new and pre-loved standing desks and a comprehensive professional space planning and installation service. Their service also includes benefits such as desk matching to fit your colour scheme, fabrics and layout, ensuring that style and comfort go hand in hand.
In short, stand up desks are a worthwhile investment considering their potential benefits in terms of lifestyle, health and productivity. Enlisting the support of experts such as Eco office will help to reduce sickness in your workforce and increase productivity.